Student Co-op Information
Through a partnership with local businesses and industries and full approval of the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Pathfinder is able to provide a Cooperative Education Program for eligible juniors and seniors who meet established high standards of achievement, attendance, work readiness and interest. These students will spend their technical training week in a real world career setting in their chosen field. This experience is an extension of their education, and students do receive a grade from their employers based on the competencies they acquire. They then follow their regular academic schedule on the alternate week. Students are eligible for this program mid junior year and throughout the entire senior year.
Qualifications for Program
For a complete listing, please view the Student Handbook.
- For the previous trimester, must have a 2.0 GPA (74) average or better in all academic classes and have no failures.
- A minimum of a 2.3 GPA (77) in related theory and shop.
- Have a good attendance and discipline record.
- Be at least 16 years of age and have a minimum of 1,000 documented hours in their technical area.
- Have an OSHA-10 Hour card and other relevant safety certifications.
- Weekly, complete and deliver a Weekly Report to the Cooperative Education Coordinator’s office.
- Weekly, electronically complete and submit a reflective journal.
- Submit a copy of your pay stub whenever you receive payment.
- Follow the employer’s schedule for holidays.
- Maintain good attendance and discipline records. Along with maintaining passing grades in all academic, shop and related theory classes.
- Sign an agreement to abide by the employer’s policies and the policies of cooperative education.
- Participate in the Work-Based Learning Plan evaluation.
- Attend periodic meetings with the Cooperative Education Coordinator.
Allows the students to:
- Expand their capabilities and confidence.
- Gain insight into daily business operations.
- Build necessary social skills for the work place.
- Enhance their “hands-on” work experiences.
- Realize the importance of team work and punctuality.
- Receive compensation for employment while attending high school.